In 1920, they founded the New Vernon Land Company to buy and control open spaces within the township, subject to the New Vernon Neighborhood Restrictive Agreement. Subscribers to the private agreement “committed to limiting commercial exploitation and distribution of ownership until 1965” and to defining a minimum area of three hectares; Although there is verbal consent that ten hectares would be the minimum. Among the historical resources of this period are many preserved lands and the rural landscapes associated with them, preserved by the efforts of this American elite. Described by the New York Times in 1973 as “one of the most restrictive and elegant suburbs in New Jersey” and in 1998 as a “Morris County Township tributary”, the municipality was one of the wealthiest municipalities in the state. Harding Township had a per capita income of 109,472 $US and became in New Jersey on First Place in New Jersey based on data from the 2006-2010 U.S. Office Community Survey, more than three times the national average of $34,858.  Based on ACS data for 2014-18, Harding Township, with an average household income of $183,587, ranked sixth in the federal government and nearly half of households earning more than $200,000 a year.  The new inhabitants of the early 20th century had the resources to acquire large areas, much of which was subject to the New Vernon Neighborhood Restrictive Agreement. This agreement essentially provided Harding with an early form of zoning, albeit quite private. The contract states that “the real estate included in this agreement shall not be traded, produced or traded in any form, unless new agreements are duly amended and appropriately accepted by the owners concerned.” The communal shingles, which largely limited development to low-density residential construction, was put into effect for the first time shortly thereafter. In Harding, little changed until after the Second World War. The New Vernon Neighborhood Restrictive Agreement was founded in 1928 by landowners, in which they agreed to voluntarily enter into restrictive agreements on their lands that would require future landowners to preserve the rural nature of the area. These voluntary efforts to limit development and save pastoral qualities of more than 4.0 km2 in Harding Township influenced subsequent shingle codes, which emerged a few decades later, helping to preserve the landscape to this day.
New Vernon and Green Village are two sections of Harding in southeastern Morris County. Forbes magazine ranked New Vernon as “one of the 25 most expensive postcodes” in the country in 2006. Much of what is called harding today was an agricultural community with roots that date back to the early 18th century. Bypassing the colonial gymnasiums, the canals of the revolutionary era and the railways that were moved into the Victorian era, the territory remained a rural water field. For nearly two centuries, open and hilly landscapes reflected their farming operations, with land torn off for livestock pastures, orchards and grain fields.  The Great Marsh, the wooded slopes of the Watchung Mountains and the vicinity of Jockey Hollow have also been used by local farmers for timber supply. The municipalities of Green Village, Logansville, New Vernon and Pleasantville were the village centres of this farming community. . A network of local highways includes routes 512 and 24, interstates 78 and 287. The 07976 zip code for New Vernon was awarded in 2006 by Forbes magazine as one of the “25 Richest Postcodes” in the United States.
 Many large, relatively unaffected lands, which have been passed down over several generations, bear witness to the wealth of many of its inhabitants. Some have been included in the National Register of Historic Places and some have non-profit support organizations that maintain the original nature of real estate.  The original inhabitants of Harding were the Delaware (or Lenape) Indians of Algonquin.